Monday, June 23, 2008

10: Methuselah Falls

Two cloaked figures crouched in a dark alleyway. One of the men was speaking agitatedly.
"But Sire, mere days ago you considered this man your friend! You sought his advice, and went to him for counsel! How then can you now--"
"Enough, man! You will obey my command! It is true that I trusted him, but I was mistaken. He is an evil deceiver and must die! And he knows too much already." The second man's eyes glowed strangely.
"Sire, I do not understand..." the first man's voice trailed off at the sound of a dagger being drawn. "It is as you wish, Sire. I will kill the man."
"Take these," said the second man, giving him the tail feathers of a rooster, "Scatter them around the area, after you have completed your work. The Cock always leaves them after every crime, and it is best for now that he is blamed."
"Yes, sir." The man scurried away down the alley.
Watching him go, the second talked to himself. "I wish I could have him leave one of these," he muttered, drawing a peacock feather from beneath his cloak, "but for now, I have 'honor' to maintain."


"Princess Edith!" exclaimed Methuselah as he peered out the crack in the door.
"Let me in, quickly, and close the door," she whispered hurriedly. The old man hustled her into the house, taking her to a seat by the fire.
"Before you tell me why you have come, let me go get you something warm to drink." As he hurried away, Edith gazed around at the mysterious objects littering the cottage. Rusted swords, engraved with strange writings hung on the wall. Bottles filled with weird colored liquids were scattered here and there. On a shelf lay the sculls of animals she could not recognize. They seemed to be staring at her. She tried to relax, but found herself clutching the great book even more tightly. Finding Methuselah's house had been difficult, and had taken much longer than she expected. A sympathetic peasant allowed her to hide in his house for some time while the King's men lazily searched the city. When day grew into evening she had borrowed some common garments, and set out on the streets, taking a roundabout way through the back alleys. It was as she neared her destination that the startling incident occurred. When a soldier walked by she had rushed around a corner to be out of sight. But as she rounded the corner, she ran directly into a tall, grim faced man--a man she recognized. It was Sir Edward IV. He showed no sign of recognition, though; and she slipped away apparently unnoticed. Nevertheless, she shuddered in fear as she left. Something in his eyes was strangely terrifying.
"Here's a good hot cup of tea for you," came Methuselah's voice as he entered the room with the steaming beverage. "Now tell me, why have you come?"
The soothing aroma of the fragrant tea calmed Edith and she began.
"I...I don't really know exactly, I just... just had to."
Methuselah nodded in understanding.
"Oh! It's my father!" she burst out, "It's one thing after another! He's so...he just doesn't seem to care about me at all. I mean, he pretends like he does, but I know... Oh! Now he's arranged the worst possible marriage for me! And, and...I've just had to handle so much on my own, with no one to talk to and..." She began crying. "You won't make me go back will you?"
"We'll worry about that when the time comes, dear. But tell me, what is this book you have with you?" Methuselah stared at the book intently.
Taking a deep breath, Edith wiped her eyes. "I don't know, but I felt I had to find out. I found it in the castle treasury...I don't honestly know why, or how, I was in the treasury, but somehow I was and the book was there. And then I took it, I don't know why. It was almost like I had no choice, but I did in a way. When I opened it the writing inside intrigued me. And even more intriguing was the fact that I could only open to the same page, every time. It was written in a strange language, but I felt that I had to know what it said, so I brought it to you."
Methuselah smiled. "You've come to the right old man." Then in a more serious tone, "That book you hold is the Ancient Book of the Great King, the most valuable, mysterious, and powerful book in existence. It is full of prophesies, spells, and the Great Laws of Old." The old man stretched out his hand. "May I look at it?"
Edith handed him the book, and he took it gently in his hands. Gingerly he opened it to a page covered in ancient writing.
"See, that's the page!" exclaimed Edith, "it opens there every time."
"Hmmmm," Methuselah took a long look at the page, "the first part is definitely a prophesy, written in the common tongue of old." He paused for a long time, looking up only after Edith began shifting in her seat. "I suppose I can read it to you." He took a deep breath and began.
When one laughs and many cry
Three will set out in honor's search.
One returns with nought but a lie.
One surveys from seabirds' perch.
These two see all through selfish eye
But fail to see they must choose sides.
The third, the fish, will travel far
To bring to life the infinite race.
The Not Very Nice one will be brought down
But one far worse will take his place.
'Tis said no mortal in the time of dread
can end the reign of Kelthisad.
The quaternary must be complete.
One from the Mountain
One from the Sea
One from the Sky
And the One of Mystery
"The second part is in a strange and ancient language. I think I can make it out."* Methuselah's began to read, but immediately stopped, his eyes scanning the page. He suddenly grew pale. Edith stared at him, worried.
"What's wrong!?" she asked, sensing urgency.
"It's worse than I expected," Methuselah muttered to himself.
Then he looked up, his eyes fearful, but resolute.
"My lady, you must leave this place immediately! The words here hold great power and state many terrible things, but for now they are not yours to know! Quick take this!"
He shoved the book into her hands.
"And wait, you must have something else."
He rushed out of the room, promptly returning with a thin black dagger. It's blade shimmered with an evil light, but was hidden as the old man thrust it into its sheath.
"You must take this as well, hurry."
As he handed her the knife, a strange tingling shot through her body. Edith shuddered. Footsteps thudded in the dark outside. She thought she heard mens' voices.
"Come here!" Methuselah shouted, crossing the room and shoving on a panel of the far wall. It swung out to a deserted alley. "Flee from this place! This path will take you to the city gates! Seek the Woman of the Hidden Stream, and protect the book and the dagger with your life! Go! Now! The time has come!
The window opposite them shattered with a crash. An arrow clattered to the floor. Screaming, Edith grabbed Methuselah's arm and tried to drag him out the passage with her.
"Let go!" He commanded, his voice powerful. "I must remain. Now run!"
A muffled twang. A searing hiss. A thud. Methuselah lurched forward. His eyes widened in pain.
"Go."
Edith fled, sobbing and stumbling. She looked back only once and beheld an enormous burst of flame. Methuselah's old hut crumbled and collapsed. She kept running.

--Thomas H

2 comments:

Thomas said...

Is there a way you can indent paragraphs, or put spaces between sections? Cause when there's a "scene change," it can be really confusing.

Andrew C said...

Yes there is, sorry, I'll fix it. Somehow the spaces and indentations get lost when I copy them from the email to the post.